We’re there to help put out fires if you need us. But wouldn’t you rather prevent fires in the first place? Here’s some information to help you do just that.
A few points to remember:
- Stick around when you’re cooking, so that you can be there if something starts to burn.
- Keep fire extinguishers handy in the kitchen and around your house.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Be especially careful with candles – keep them away from curtains, and be there to watch them as they burn.
- Prepare your house to resist wildfire. A few simple steps can keep a firebrand from igniting your house!
- Have your chimney cleaned, inspected and maintained in order to prevent a chimney fire.
- Check out the other pages in the learn section of our website, too.
The links below will take you to other websites; we think you’ll find good information there. When you’re done reading, come back to us at GabriolaFire.ca.
- Is your wood stove safe? – Insurance Bureau of Canada
- Home safety articles – Canada Safety Council
- Prevent Fire – preventfire.com
- 3 minute drill – 3minutedrill.alberta.ca
(The photo at the top of this page was taken by Nigel Denholm at this fire.)