Want to be a Gabriola firefighter?
We have some openings for a few more firefighters. Would you like to join us?
The Gabriola Volunteer Fire Department is a friendly and welcoming organization. We provide all necessary training to the same NFPA standards as big city departments, and we’re ready to help new applicants become competent members of our team.
If you join us you will learn to fight fires, deal with motor vehicle incidents (jaws of life, etc), help during situations that require rope rescue, and a lot more. You’ll learn to operate fire trucks, and will upgrade your driving license to class 3 with air brakes endorsement. Once you have mastered all of these skills, you have the option to train as a first responder.
We hope you’ll consider applying if:
- You live on Gabriola Island, you’ve been here a while (at least a year) and you plan to stay on the island.
- You’re in good health, and reasonably fit.
- You have a class 5 (or higher) driving license
- You can come to training sessions from 7 to about 10 on Tuesday nights. (Sometimes there are additional sessions as well, like weekend-long courses.)
- You’re eager to learn new skills.
- You are willing to study written material and take exams.
- You’re trustworthy, honest, and kind.
- You’re ready for a long-term commitment- we hope our members stay for many years.
- You can respond (most of the time) to emergencies when the pager goes off.
If you’re interested, please call our office (250-247-9677) and arrange to fill out an application form. We’ll check your driving record, and make sure that the police have no record of you doing bad stuff. We’ll ask you for several references.
If you look like a good match for us, we’ll ask you to come and meet our officers for an interview.
We’re planning to start a class for new firefighters in January, so you’d start with that, on Tuesday nights.
All training costs are covered, and our department pays an hourly stipend for most training sessions and for callouts once you have achieved a certain training level and are issued a pager.
For more details, see these pages on our website:
You’ve always wanted to be a firefighter? This is your chance!